Thursday, November 8, 2012

Some simple secrets . . .

I blogged last year about a video from Simple Truths, a source of motivational and inspirational gifts.  In the latest newsletter is another short (3:32) video presentation about Finding Joy, Some Simple Secrets to a Happy Life.  It is a series of quotes on beautiful scenes that I found both relaxing and inspirational.  The video can be found here.

The first time I viewed it was for enjoyment, but there was something in the back of my mind that made me view it two more times.  Three of the quotes caught my attention and seem to resonate with me at this time.
  • Burn brightly without burning out.  Richard Biggs - I can personalize with this one because of the need to bring energy and enthusiasm to my work even during those weeks with multiple evening meetings.  It also brings to mind the stress that our teachers carry with them and how they must and do find ways to continue to be that bright spot for our young people during difficult times.
  • The only things that stand between a person and what they want in life are the will to try it, and the faith to believe it's possible.  Richard Devos - I'm going to keep this one in front of me as we face the difficult challenge of implementing a new and different teacher and principal evaluation model and aligning our curriculum and instructional practices so that young people will be prepared for meeting the rigorous standards embedded in the common core.  I know what I want for our system related to these two initiatives and I must be willing to provide leadership that may challenge existing positions knowing that we have the capacity for success.
  • Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.  Robert Brault - At my age one begins to reflect deeply on quotes such as this in both my personal and professional life.  I need to take time to celebrate the little victories along the way.  Yes, I must focus on the end goals, but finding energy to keep burning brightly will come from observing Classroom 10 interactions between adults and young people, from a story told by a teacher about how one of the Classroom 10 practices is changing their classroom, from a principals story about how feedback assisted a teacher in improving their practice, and . . .
Watching the video was worth the three minutes to me.  Enjoy it here.

No comments: