Sunday, September 2, 2012

A reminder deserving thanks . . .

Some of you are aware of our focus on feedback related to our Classroom 10 goal including changing mental models that I shared in this post from last year.  If you follow my blog, you also know that I had the opportunity last week to participate in conversations at three buildings.  I enjoyed each and believe that I was able to add something of value to the conversations.  The focus at the High School and Junior High was on Career and College ready and at Cedar River it was giving and receiving feedback.

I want to thank Andy and Robert at Cedar River for modeling vulnerability by allowing me to ask questions and provide feedback following a presentation on mental models.  It was not a planned  conversation and asking Robert to participate was made at that moment in time.  We had an opportunity to model how feedback can support reflection and influence future thinking and planning.

I want to also thank Terry and Rob for allowing me to share the system focus on Career and College Ready and update staff on progress on the donut hole.  They share the need and are using system tools to support staff in identifying and implementing adaptive changes to ensure that ALL students have options for success in post high school learning and work.

One more thank you and the one that capped off a great learning month for me.  This one goes to Brooke Dillon teacher at the high school.  Brooke thanked me for the information I shared at the high school meeting.      I like to think that I don't need positive feedback, but when I read her e-mail it reminded me how wrong that thinking is and how important it is for me to find a better balance in the feedback I provide.  Reading that e-mail reinforced for me the importance of the work and the small role that I play.  Brooke, it made my month. THANKS!


No comments: