Thursday, September 8, 2011

On the lighter side . . .

If you are a doodler like me, you may find this post on Mind/Shift interesting.  The author shares a research study that suggests that learning is enhanced in science when students draw a scientific concept.  Doodling helps!

The research suggests that when students draw a scientific concept, such as a sound wave, they understand it better. But just as important as their understanding, perhaps, drawing helps them feel more engaged and excited about learning.

I don't know if it helps adult learning outside of science, but I believe that doodling assists me in staying engaged.  It went from doodling to games on my phone.  The games create a negative mental model for others in the room, so I made a commitment to the ELT to discontinue that practice.  Now, when I have paper I doodle.  I think I'll start paying closer attention to the doodles to see of they are in any way connected to the conversations.

No comments: