Thursday, November 6, 2008

A tough week . . .

My Aunt Dora suffered a massive stroke on Sunday and passed away this afternoon. It has been a difficult week seeing her in this situation and watching my cousins make the difficult choices associated with the aftermath of this event. Over the last year she has had a series of minor strokes that she endured with some loss of mobility, but nothing like this last one.


She and my cousins were a big part of my childhood. We lived a mile from each other and because of this proximity and being just a few years apart in ages we spent many happy and carefree days together. She was there when I needed help and support and she never hesitated to give me good advice. In reflection, she is one of the few people I know who never hesitated to share her private thoughts.

She lived a simple life devoted to raising her children including my cousin Mike who has Down's Syndrome. Her husband died when two of the four kids were in their early teens and Mike was not yet ten so it wasn't always easy. She worked hard to provide for the family. Her and my Mom were "Bingo Queens" for many years. I think I'm probably beginning to ramble with all these memories popping into my mind so I best just close for now.

2 comments:

mj said...

My thoughts are with you, Mike.
Mary Jane

The Custodian said...

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there. (John 5:28, 29; Revelation 21:4)