Tuesday, June 28, 2011

More loss in my future . . .

Here is another of those blog posts from Ian Jukes at Committed Sardine about changes on the horizon similar to my May 19th post on a social vending machine and the death of the mechanical typewriter.  In this one he shares the "9 Things That Will Disappear in our Lifetime" from the zenohistorian blog.  Here are the 9 things and a brief rationale.  Check out either blog post for a more detailed explanation.
  1. The Post Office - There is too much competition for the post office to overcome their financial problems.
  2. The Check - Cards and online will replace checks which will also be an issue for the post office if we no longer pay bills through the mail.  This is an issue for me as I rely on checks for multiple purposes including paying my bills.
  3. The Newspaper - This will also be a concern for me as I like to start my day with the newspaper in front of me, not on a screen.  Yes, I do obviously follow my RSS feeds online and other news services, but having that hard copy in the morning is important to me.  The problem is that the younger generation and others don't see the need that I do.  Looks like I may need to subscribe to read MY paper in the future online. 
  4. The Book - Another problem for me.  I still like having that hard copy as opposed to a reader, but cost and ease of use will likely kill the book.  We are even seeing this happen with textbooks in some places.
  5. The Land Line Telephone - At last something that won't bother me.  Yes, I have one, no two if you count the FAX line, but even I may some day come to realize that I am paying double for one service with a cell phone.
  6. Music - I'm not sure that I really understand this one so I will use the words from the blog.  The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It’s because innovative new music isn’t being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates are simply self-destructing. Over 40% of the music purchased today is “catalog items,” meaning traditional music that the public has heard for years, from older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, Appetite for Self-Destruction by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, “Before the Music Dies.”
  7. Television - This reference is to network TV, something that I watch very little of other than the occasional sporting event or local news that Icould get elsewhere. This is not one I will miss and one of the few of the 9 that  I seem to be aligned with.
  8. "Things" That You Own - This one is in reference to the growing popularity of "the cloud" where most things will originate from and be stored in "the cloud." 
  9. Privacy - I think we are all beginning to see and feel this.  Technology has made it easy to track and monitor anyone.  Purchasing online, walking down the street, phone calls and the list goes on of ways that "others" can track you.  This is one loss that all of us may someday wish had never taken place.  Of course when potential terrorist plots are tracked down through some of these means we see it as a celebration.  Another one of those double-edged swords that seem to be a part of our lives today.
I'm not looking forward to the potential for some of these losses, but there is little I can do.  The momentum is far too large for me to influence or care to influence.  How about you, are there any of the 9 that you agree or disagree with?  In my May 19th post I asked -  So, what do you think will be the next technology break through that will bite the dust? Stacy responded with the following comment.

Cable TV. Like HBO and so forth. Many people are streaming through the internet Hulu, and Netflix are huge. Cable co. might stay around to offer the necessary high speed internet. However, why would I pay $150 a month to watch tv when I can pay 11 for NEtflix and possibly another 10 if Hulu decides to charge?

 I will be in trouble if I lose my satellite TV - I don't know what Hulu is.  Just another reminder of how unmillenial I am.





    1 comment:

    crystal said...

    1. The post office - B and I greatly dislike the post office. Getting the mail usually means just getting junk that goes directly to the recycling bin--what a waste of paper! Every company bill possible is on paperless so we don't check the mail as often as we should.

    2. The check - we /rarely/ use checks. We use online bill pay for everything that we can, which means we really only use checks when we need to pay someone doing work on the house that doesn't accept credit (hello air miles) or we need to pay back when we don't have cash (though most of our friends are on amazon payments for that).

    3. The newspaper - yuck. I listen to NPR in the car and watch the 10 o'clock news for most news. Or I rely on RSS feeds. The one paper that keeps getting delivered to our house even though we don't pay for it goes directly from the street to the recycling. It doesn't even make it out of the bag.

    4. The book - I had a kindle for awhile, but then sold it since I just started using the kindle app on my ipad instead. Though I see a few disadvantages with an e-book, the good FAR out weighs the bad.

    5. The land line - haven't had one of those for 6 years. And I only had one for a year post college because it was a cheaper package with the cable company to have it than not.

    6. Music - I don't get that one either. But I'm not a music listener and prefer NPR to the radio, and silence to NPR, so no big deal here.

    7. Network Television - We almost exclusively watch shows that we TiVo-ed or Netflix. As high speed becomes more prominent, this will be easier for more people. I'm surprised you don't know about Hulu.

    8. "Things" that you own / "The cloud" - I assume this is in reference to DVDs/Video Games/Music CDs/etc... We stopped buying all these things long ago, but do still use them thanks to Redbox. However, cloud computing/etc will def make these obsolete soon enough.

    ASIDE, I really hope your readers follow your link on "the cloud" if they don't know what it is. It's my pet-peeve that people don't research what they don't understand when today's world makes it so easy to do so!

    9. Privacy - Agreed. Though there are ways to protect some information. I just gave a class on this at the Summer 10Tech Conference. ... Want to see something scary though? Search yourself on Spokeo.com