Thursday, June 18, 2009

Getting ready leads to stress . . .


China is right around the corner and I am struggling to “feel” good about my preparation. This will be a different post for me, sharing my struggles with getting ready, so if this personal stuff is not what you are expecting I apologize.

I usually travel on vacation with shorts, tennis shoes, t-shirts, and a couple shirts with collars. This is much different and more difficult to prepare for. Formal dinners (4) with suits being the required dress means I need to bring at least 2 plus shirts and ties. School visits being business casual means shirts with collars and long pants for four days. Site seeing is more casual, but more clothes. At first I was told I needed to keep this to a maximum of 42 pounds including gifts and all the other stuff one needs for hygiene purposes. Yesterday I found out I could go to 50 pounds since we are bussing to the region where we visit schools instead of flying. Eight pounds doesn’t sound like a lot, but it is helpful.

Let’s see, what else:

Need to buy a new piece of luggage that holds suits and almost all the other clothes.

Call the credit card company to inform them I will be in China.

Get traveller's checks.

Check with the doctor and get verification for my prescriptions.

Print multiple copies of passport first page.

Get Skype organized for communicating with family and work.

The list seems to drag on. I have found that being a last minute planner and doer related to travel is not what one should do the first time to China. I have gained much respect for those that do international travel. Of course, the last week of the student year is not exactly the best time to make this trip, but when you aren’t paying, it’s best to grin and bear it.

So Sunday is departure and I think today was the last shopping (short sleeve dress shirts and a couple ties, you can never have too many ties) because I’m tired of it. Tomorrow, I need to finish evaluations, attend Rotary, prepare for Tuesday’s board meeting, visit the bank, get home early enough to mow and try to remember what I have forgotten to do. That will not be easy as I have information in multiple places. I should have asked Linda to help so I could feel better and my head would hurt less. Too late now.

If everything works correctly, I will try to post from China. It will be fun to share the adventure as I try to form partnerships with multiple schools. Excited about the trip, but concerned with my preparation.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Enjoy your trip Mike -- what an opportunity of a lifetime! We'll look forward to hearing all about the experience when you return. Safe and Happy Travels!