Friday, October 10, 2008

New learning for me . . .



Well, another day with Peter Senge and others has left me both energized and tired at the same time. I am also feeling more cognitive dissonance while seeing many opportunities. A world of contradictions, but that seems to be the way it is when I am given the opportunity to meet with Peter and the others engaged in conversations around sustainability and system dynamics.



We met first at South Seattle Community College's Duwamish-Georgetown campus where a green expo was being held. This was followed up by a meeting in one of Boeing's Renton sites. It was here that the emotions kicked in. I found myself in a conference room with ten Boeing representatives, mostly program managers, with a couple of VP's thrown in. Our group was composed of two representatives from OSPI, a prof from Western, the Director of Indian Education from Toppenish School District, and Abby Ruskey, Executive Director of EEAW. Abby and Peter facilitated these meetings that were hosted by Boeing.

Those that know me know that I do not network often and the above environment would be one that I try to avoid. I don't like representing superintendents or public schools other than those in our system. Being the only public school administrator in the room was difficult for me because much of the conversation was around the relationship between business and public schools and what must be done to embed sustainability and system thinking in schools with teachers and students on a larger scale.

In a short period of time, however, I found myself immersed in the dialogue and seeing both tremendous opportunities and concerns for lack of focus in areas where I have missed the boat. The opportunities are around the relationships that are being formed that have potential for bringing people resources from the business sector to our Classroom 10 work. It also became clear to me that in my reading of Senge's Fifth Discipline and in the work of his organization, SOL, I have only touched the surface of the potential for system dynamic tools to support our work. The Boeing people demonstrated some of what they are doing to adapt their business practices using these tools that are resulting in significant changes in short periods of time. I was impressed with their skill level at understanding their organization and where the leverage is at to influence and support necessary change.

I have read all three of Peter's Fifth Discipline related books and see that for me, understanding these difficult concepts and then translating them into practice is difficult without the support of others that know more and have prior experience with the tools. I have asked Peter for support and guidance as we move forward. I see a place for system dynamics beyond the communication foundation that we have put in place and especially see a need for actively engaging young people in learning about and using these tools. Causal loop diagrams are one of the tools. Believe me, they become much more complex as I saw today than this simple model, but they provide so much insight. I need to become more knowledgeable and proficient in the work of these tools.

I am also excited because Peter said that in December he would provide us with an opportunity to video him for our Classroom 10 video. I also have three Boeing staff that will do the same. They said things today that validate the focus of our work at preparing young people for options and success following graduation. They can do this through the experiences they are going through while keeping Boeing at the fore front of the aerospace industry world wide.

1 comment:

Ethan Smith said...

There was a time when I thought I would be majoring in systems dynamics in college. It is a subject I continue to find fascinating. It sounds like I ought to read one of Senge's books. Which would you recommend?

I'm intrigued by the notion of having students work with tools such as the causal loop diagrams. There was a time when we used a systems modeling and analysis tool called STELLA in our 10th grade science program. It is a fabulous tool. We drifted away from it because, at the time, we didn't have the passion for Classroom 10 I at least hope we do now. Kimberly and I wanted to teach logic tools as a foundation for the integrated program we wanted to get going back before there was an Outdoor Academy.

Student discourse is a topic I am passionate about right now. I believe we need to invest much more heavily in supporting kids in being effective in their work together. We have them working in collaborative groups all over the place but do little to support their growing their collaboration skills.