Monday, October 22, 2007

Fullan: "Learning Is the Work"

I want to share with you a post from Leader Talk, introducing a new book by Fullan that identifies six secrets to successful change. The secrets are both confirming and troubling for me because I can see where our work is aligned and where more emphasis may be necessary. I am particularly interested in the concept of the learning is the work (4).

In the post she shares what Fullan identifies as the difference between superficial and strong PLC's. If interested you can read about this difference in the post as well as a reference to the work of Richard Elmore and Jim Collins, two other leadership experts I enjoy reading.

I will get Fullan's new book and share what I learn.


Six Secrets of Change
1. love your employees as well as your customers
2. connect peers with purpose
3. capacity building (building capacity in others -- support, guidance, encouragement) trumps judgmentalism
4. learning is the work
5. transparency rules
6. systems learn

As I reflect on this post it again makes me think about the balance of new learning for me. I continue to focus on leadership because it is what I do and because of my belief in the need to distribute it for our work to be successful. I am also trying to become more knowledgeable and proficient with personal use of technology and embedding it into our curriculum and instructional practices. My third area of focus has become Classroom 10 and the many questions I have about my capacity to identify quality instruction aligned with this concept and support administrator and teacher implementation over time. There isn't time left for much more, but I am energized with the many learning opportunities I have each day.

Well, enough for now. Have a great day!

No comments: