Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Are we making the RIGHT choices?

I don't know how many of you have seen this Seattle PI article from earlier this month, but I think it is important for us to consider as we "open up" our schools. I was reminded of it yesterday in a Technology R & D meeting when we were discussing the many ways that young people could bring in content that would not make it through our filters. There simply isn't any way to keep that from happening.

Are we wrong? Are the fears of the professors in the article enough to preclude the use of this technology in our classrooms? What are we not considering that other public school systems have, who then made the decision not to"open up" their classrooms? You and I can come up with many more similar questions, but at the end of the day I come to the same conclusion; we must move in this direction. My belief comes from my reading, from my interactions with colleagues, from my conversations with young people limited though they might be, from my observations and experiences, and from somewhere in my gut that tells me we must.

What about you? How committed are you to this change knowing the problems we will encounter with potential inappropriate content, cheating, theft, and the list goes on? It might be easier to stick with the "real basics" and leave this up to the kids. After all, they are doing a pretty good job without us. Any thoughts?

Well, enough for now. have a great day!

No comments: