Thursday, May 13, 2010

GLAD is . . .

Two people posted comments to my question about GLAD. They both provide insights into why this initiative has become so popular with elementary teachers. I want to share parts of each because they help us understand from the teacher context the potential of this program to support learning for ALL children. Though the program was developed to support English language acquisition, those using it in our district tell us it enhances learning for all students.

Christel Winkey at Winkey’s Wonderers shares her experience this year including the following.

GLAD is an amazing collection of strategies that really push our students in what Tahoma stands for. The level of impact these strategies have had on my students' learning has shown me the importance of GLAD and I am grateful to have the opportunity to become a district GLAD trainer.

Laura Bowden shared the following based more on observation than experience as she will be taking the training this summer.

I love working in a district with such high standards and rich curriculum. What has been missing is a way to make this kid friendly and exciting. From what I have observed about GLAD is that kids retain basic information, they have a voice in their learning, and are building schema that sticks with them. This is the bridge for our kids to attain such complex learning that is expected of them.

Are the GLAD strategies a critical link that should become part of the district’s professional development model? I encourage others to share their experiences so that we can better understand why this has become so powerful and make decisions on how to move forward with this learning opportunity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having had the opportunity to have both the two-day and five-day GLAD training, I am continually surprised at how positively it impacts my classroom. In addition to offering students a more kid-friendly approach to grasping the Habits of Mind, GLAD also provides the students with basic knowledge on which they may build upon. The GLAD strategies have developed, in my students, a sense of accountability and true community where they have an opportunity to learn content, strategies, and social skills. I am continually excited to teach a classroom full of excited, inquisitive learners!

Rachelle said...

I too have had the opportunity to have both the two-day and five-day GLAD training. I am continually encouraged and surprised by the conversations I have with my first graders. GLAD has made me dig deeper into the content I teach, in order to develop lessons for my students. When I hear them using the high-academic language in their conversations with one another, on field trips, and with parents, I know they have internalized the content and truly do understand what is being taught. Their excitement and questions keep me motivated as a teacher and to continue using the GLAD strategies.