Monday, July 14, 2008

One day over and not yet counting . . .

Well, the first day at the SoL conference is over and it was not close to what I had anticipated. It is much more about personal learning around system thinking and sustainability as opposed to what I thought would be team learning. I'm not making a judgment, just an observation though I think our team may practice some risk taking to carve out a little more time together. I use the word team loosely as this is the first time we have been together.

Senge took us through some of the foundations of The Fifth Discipline including the difference between Structural Relationship and Pattern Behavior Over Time. I must admit that I am not as intuitive as many around the archetypes at seeing the relationships though today helped some. I can see how this concept is critical for understanding sustainability. I did, however, feel better when the topic switched to personal mastery and am looking forward to the session tomorrow on creative tension.

I must also admit that I am beginning to see the urgency around this issue and the need for us to play a significant role with the young people and community we work with. There was much mixing and conversation with people I don't know around issues I am not well versed in. We also played some games and other activities that I would normally walk out of or excuse myself from doing. Please know, I participated in all of them. I succeeded in having some question my commitment when I shared some of the struggles associated with our journey and others wondering if I have the beliefs necessary to take advantage of this learning opportunity. But, I persevered and will even be ready for tomorrow's challenge.

No comments: