Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Our need to feel valued . . .

I had an opportunity to meet this evening with board members, sixteen of our high school students, their ASB advisor, and their principal. We asked for the meeting, the first of what we want to be an annual opportunity to engage with high school students around important topics. The topic this evening was the stress being felt by these young people, where it comes from, and how they manage it.

We learned some things, had some assumptions verified, and like many conversations also ended up hearing much about other topics. One of these that I found particularly interesting was how teachers demonstrate to students that they care, that the student is respected as a person by the adult in the classroom. The comment that sparked this part of the conversation was one student sharing that he felt teachers showed more respect during the WASL administration then at any other time in the year. Below, are the behaviors that they shared that they believe have this impact on them. Please know that this was not a representative sample of our high school population as most were connected to the leadership class and/or student government. There was also not complete agreement on the place for this behavior in school or the need for all students to have this connection.
  • When adults give compliments and recognition for work well done.
  • When adults provide feedback including constructive criticism.
  • When adults inquire about the individual student's life both at school and outside of school. When there are observable signs of distress the adult will inquire and ask if they can be of help.
  • When adults are willing to extend time lines for work when there are extenuating circumstances.
  • When teachers regularly update grades on Skyward so parents have accurate information.
  • When adults make a connection and see them as people not numbers.

I am sharing this not because I am asking anyone to reflect on their practice or change behavior, but because what struck me was that isn't this what all of us want? We want to be recognized for our efforts, appreciated for our commitment, and be with people that show interest in who we are. I ask myself what would I hear if this had been sixteen teachers sharing the behaviors that students, parents, administrators or their colleagues exhibit that demonstrate caring and appreciation. I suggest that the list would be very similar.

It is especially troubling to me because this is the week set aside each year for teacher appreciation. I try each year to do an e-mail sharing my appreciation with our teachers, seldom knowing if it has any impact or serves a useful purpose. Most don't know me and may see it as something that I have to do as part of my job. Others may even think that I have Kevin write it for me. It won't stop me from doing it, but it just seems like such a small gesture to people who deserve so much more.

It makes me think about this society that we live in where if asked most people do not hesitate to say that they value education and especially the work of teachers. Yet, how often do they hear this from us? Why do they have to fight for a wage that aligns with what we say is such important work? Why do they have to hear the you only work nine months a year argument for why they are already paid enough? Why is it we need to have a week set aside for appreciation? Shouldn't we be doing this every day not just with words, but through our behavior, through support structures that position them for success with all young people, and by celebrating more of our successes as opposed to the bashing that is so much more prevalent in the media.

What can we do to create a culture where teachers feel valued and supported? What should I be doing as one of the leaders in this school system to shape this culture?

This evening was fun and informative, but it also created dissonance and tension around my own behavior and that of our society as we search for ways to align our behavior with our words about the importance of public education in these troubling times.

No comments: